Here is my favorite chili recipe. It’s not only my favorite, it’s my husband’s favorite, too. To taste this is to love this. I’m not sure where the recipe originally came from, but I’ve modified it a bit over the years. I’ve been making it for just under 9 years, and I have it just about dialed in for my tastes.
It’s so super easy, and they are ingredients you may have lying around. Perfect for a day when you may be snowed in. Or make it in the dutch oven and re-heat it on a campfire.
- Some Butter (or oil, but please no veggie oil, that’s really bad for you) (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
- An onion, diced
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, diced
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 2 16 oz cans of beans. Or you can cook up dried beans, I started with 1 1/3 cups of dried beans and went from there. Here’s my post on how to do that.
- 1 cup of water (if you are using store canned beans, put the whole container (bean goo and all) in the chili, OR 2 cups if you are using the dried beans, which at this point will be strained.
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 14.5 Ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chili
- 2 14.5 Ounce can of diced tomatoes (if you like it spicier, have two cans with green chili’s and one without. We don’t like a lot of spice in our house)
- 2 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- If you like it hot, you may want to add some hot sauce, too. I’m not a spicy fan, so I don’t have any expertise here.
Now the next steps are really simple. You’ll love this:
- Melt your butter or heat your oil. Mix in your onions and garlic. Heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add your 2 pounds of Raw Beef to the pot
- And Brown it. This really shouldn’t be a third step, but I have a picture!
- Now, add in all your other ingredients:
- Stir the ingredients together and let simmer for at least 1/2 an hour.
- Now EAT IT!!!
- And/Or Serve it to you family (we like ours with a little Parmesan Cheese sprinkled on top):
All of our bowls looked like this at the end:
This is a great and simple chili recipe that I have used for years. Once it sleeps in your refrigerator overnight, it gets even better! This is a family favorite in my house!