It’s easy as pie. Sorry for the hilarious pun.
Okay, quite frankly, I really don’t have the art of the crust. I kind of botched this one. But it was still tasty.
The filling, strawberry filling to be exact, was super easy. And Simple.
But this is Simplicity for Julia. So let’s go on with this simple recipe, which is my husband’s favorite.
- Unbaked Pie shell (I like the Fresh P’s all butter Pie crust, even though I still need practice)
- 10 cups of whole Strawberries or 7 cups of sliced strawberries (for ultimate yumminess, make sure they are fresh and in season)
- 2 Tablespoons of Arrowroot Powder (I prefer this to cornstarch, as corn is full of GMOs)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla
Yup. That’s all the ingredients.
What To Do with the Ingredients?
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice up your strawberries. You will have about 7 cups. More or less doesn’t really matter, This isn’t exact. Place in a large bowl.
- Add Arrowroot Powder, Sugar and Vanilla.
- Stir and let sit for 15 minutes. This will cause the strawberries to “macerate” or create their own syrup.
- Pour this into your unbaked shell.
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature in your oven to 350 degrees, and continue baking for another 40 minutes. Be sure to check the pie often toward then end of that time so it doesn’t burn. The crust should be golden brown.
- Let cool and then eat the heck out of it. The addition of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream is always welcome.
A Few Notes:
This is a relatively low sugar recipe. Most fruit pie recipes call for 1 1/4 cups of sugar. I really don’t think you’ll miss it. I think you could use even less sugar and still get great results. Play around with it, and I think you will find the ideal amount of sugar that meets your tastes.